Here’s the working outline of my master’s in communications thesis at Eastern Washington University. I’m investigating how to promote higher education to Millennials via social media.
CH. 1: INTRODUCTION
- HECB Open Forums
- HECB Portal Report
- Reference to Appendix B: HECB Open Forums [DONE]
- Research Questions
- RQ1: What are the characteristics of Millennials?
- RQ2: How do Millennials prefer to be communicated with?
- RQ3: What best practices/guidelines can inform the development of a social media communication plan to engage Millennials?
- RQ4: What metrics would be used to determine the effectiveness of this communication plan?
CH. 2: REVIEW OF THE LITERATURE
- Millennials & Higher Education
- Academic Journals on Millennials
- Academic Journals on Social Media
- Review of Communication Theories & PR Models
- Points to consider: A) Millennials’ communication preferences; B) Millennials’ use of social media; C) Current marketing plans; D) Metrics
CH. 3: RESEARCH METHODS
- Answer RQ1 with Pew Research Project
- Answer RQ2 with Pew Research Project and Marketing to Millennials
- Answer RQ3 with New Rules of PR/Marketing, Facebook & Twitter Demographics, My 10 Steps for Social Media Presentation
- Answer RQ4 with ROI/metrics of social media research
CH. 4: RESULTS & ANALYSIS
- Communication plan with metrics
- Reference Appendix A: Social Media Guidelines
- Reference Appendix C: Social Media Report Template
CH. 5: DISCUSSION
- Address specific populations (minorities, etc.)
- Address need for media mix
- Bibliography complete
APPENDIX A: Social Media Guidelines
APPENDIX B: HECB Open Forums Data
APPENDIX C: Social Media Report Template